Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fall Camping

We like to camp in the spring and the fall, when the weather is mild and pleasant.  We have a great little place on the backside of our farm, we like to go.  We all enjoy the warmth and smell of a campfire, cooking our food, and telling stories.  At night we all cuddle in a tent and listen to the symphony of crickets and frogs, and the spooky sound of coyotes, howling back and forth across the holler. 

Gathering fire wood...














The fire is going and the tent is set up.... we go for a walk and explore.

We went looking for the Paw Paw trees, K had seen a few weeks before, when he was bush-hogging.  They are ripe in late fall. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html



They have the texture of a mango and a very mild banana flavor.  I can't say I really liked them and I couldn't convince the kids to try more than a bite. I ate several, just because they are "good for you."  We left them for the deer and other critters to eat.


On our walk back we observed this beautiful Swallowtail butterfly, feeding on a thistle flower.



Breakfast the next morning....when we camp the kids wake up at the first light of dawn.  No sleeping in!
The dogs like breakfast and always wait patiently for leftovers.

Try camping sometime.  You might like it!
Wonderful memories.

2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately G thinks camping (sleeping outside)is crazy--even without the coyote howls! ;) I'm looking forward to the day he changes his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're enjoying your posts. It helps B and I feel more connected with you guys. I really like the Swallowtail picture. In fact you've had several picture I wish I had taken.

    ReplyDelete